Sunday, March 02, 2008

- More on the Meatballl -

I'll start by saying I don't know Mike all that well. I was introduced to him by Maggy, "I'm going to make him my protege," he said of Mike. It was certainly a bit of a surprise to actually meet Mike Friedman - I expected someone in the classics racing paradigm of a 1.90 meter tall, 85kg beast. Mike would take someone like Paulo Bettini in a fist fight, but he sure isn't a big guy. As a matter of fact he's probably shorter than I am.

Despite the polarized physiques, Mike actually reminds me a lot of Maggy. He's one of those guys that is so genuine and solid that you immediately like him. And he's got personality to spare - from the classic Mustang that says "I'll lay rubber when and where I feel like it," to the purposely Poindexter use of a bow-tie, to his "heterosexual life partner" relationship with fellow Colo. Springs resident Brad Huff.

What's my favorite thing about "Meatball?" I think it's the fact that he's called Meatball, or Shrek, or a bunch of other goofy things. There are a lot of guys in cycling that have accomplished a lot less that are rude, arrogant, or standoffish. A guy known as Meatball really couldn't pull that off.

This will be a big season for Mike, with a key role in Maggy's bid for another Roubaix title, and a spot in the Olympics racing the Madison with Slipstream teammate Colby Pierce. His progress to the top of the sport has been nothing less than incredible. Pay attention, this is the guy that one day will be the first American to win the Tour of Flanders.

No comments: