Friday, March 21, 2008

- Joy of being wrong -

Got a call from a friend coming into town for a week's vacation tomorrow. Looks like I'll have a riding parter to drag me around in pursuit of a cursory level of fitness. The only problem is that I didn't have a bike ready to ride since I took them all apart to 'update' them while I was recovering (and I didn't want to ride the Paketa again). So, I had to put a bike back together in a hurry. That's why I'm in at the office this late...

Anyway, to make a long story shorter, I put a Force group that has been laying around the shop on my bike (the thumbnail photo bike), and darn if the Force kit doesn't look even better than the DA group that I was saying just a bit ago 'was the perfect groupset' for the shape of the nose of my Magma saddle. Turns out the Sram stuff has the right protuberance, and the Mag shift lever from the force Double Tap levers goes spot on with the Mg fairing at the front of the Magma saddle.

Seems I was wrong about the DA stuff (moved to the Paketa that is now sitting wheel-less in my office). When it makes a better bike, I am happy to have been wrong...

BTW - very impressed with the Force group on setup. The front derailleur takes longer to setup so that you don't need to trim it, but once you dial it in as long as you don't use the last cog opposite from the chainring, there seems to be no rub. The real test will be tomorrow to see how long it takes to get used to...

No comments: