Thursday, February 28, 2008

- A short treatise on why ISPs are silly -

ISPs - those very trendy integrated seat posts that are popping up on bikes from everyone and their brother - Time, Giant, Trek, etc. etc. - are officially just irritating. Sure, you say, "you have one on your track bike." True. That is why I now hate them.

I had one on my road bike for a bit, but that got hacked off and replaced with a normal seatpost. It took about 3 rides. I usually test a bunch of different things based on projects that I am working on and specific client requests. Since one of our projects is custom cycling shoes I ride with different pedals on a regular basis to better understand the pedal/shoe interplay. That doesn't work with an ISP where pedal system stack height can very by almost a centimeter. Sure I could swap back and forth between a Selle Italia c64 and regular SLR to change the 10mm, but that seems pretty cumbersome when all I need to do is change a couple mm in height.

I figured that on my track/fixed gear bike that there wouldn’t be much of an issue – it’s not like I usually change anything there other than the front end to convert it from road to track (fork, stem, bars). But after yesterday’s ride my hindparts were feeling a bit tender for the c64 saddle, so I wanted to swap on my trusty SSM Era Composite (it’s been through the wars with me). Too bad the SSM has 1cm more in stack height than the c64.

So I put on a fresh hack-saw blade and removed 1cm of ISP height, re-slotted it and mounted my Era. Unfortunately since the seat tube is CHT/T treated Ti it killed the blade even with liberal use of cutting oil (which is a killer to clean out of an ISP). And now if I ever want to torture my delicates and go back to the c64 I’ll have a geeky 1cm bit of seatpost – which completely kills the whole “I’m cool and super pro with my ISP cut to the exact height that I need” look.

Though I guess I could always swap my DA pedals for Speedplays if I want to do that – they are a centimeter lower in stack height…

No comments: